Meatballs are a simple and very tasty recipe to make: these tender morsels of minced meat seasoned with provola, parmesan, egg and parsley can not really be missing in the menu of a nice festive feast or a Sunday lunch in the family. In this version they are fried, but thanks to their versatility you can cook the meatballs in different ways just as inviting.
Ingredients for 44 meatballs:
• Ground beef: 500 g (17,63 oz)
• Stale bread: 130 g (4,58 oz)
• Grated Parmesan cheese: 50 g (1,76 oz)
• Medium eggs: 2
• Salt: 3 g (0,10 oz)
• Black pepper: 3 g (0,10 oz)
• Smoked provola: 50 g (1,76 oz)
• Parsley: 1 tuft
• Thyme: 2 twigs
• Breadcrumbs: as needed
Ingredients for frying:
• Seed oil: as needed
1) To prepare meatballs, start slicing the stale bread. Remove the crust and cut the breadcrumbs into cubes, then place it in a mixer together with the minced parsley and the thyme leaves: operate the mixer until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous mixture. Slice and chop the provola coarsely.
2) In a large pan place the meat, chopped bread and provola, add the grated Parmesan and finally the eggs slightly beaten.
3) Season with salt and pepper then start kneading with your hands until you get a compact dough, which you have to leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes covered with plastic wrap.
4) After the necessary time, remove the dough from the refrigerator, moisten your hands and begin to divide the dough into portions of about 20 g (0,70 oz): each model on the palm of your hand to get about 44 meatballs of the same size and then put them on a tray lined with transparent film.
5) Put in a large bowl breadcrumbs and pass each meatball, turning it with the help of a fork for a uniform breading. Let them rest all on the tray, trying to distance them slightly from each other. Meanwhile, bring the oil to fry at a temperature that does not exceed 170-180 ° C (to be measured with a kitchen thermometer).
6) When it is hot at the right point, dip 2-3 meatballs at a time with a skimmer so as not to lower the oil temperature too much, cook a few minutes (2-3 minutes will be enough) until you have a nice browning, then transfer the meatballs cooked on absorbent paper just long enough to eliminate the excess oil. Meatballs are ready, serve them hot!
You can keep meatballs in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, closed in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. If you have only used fresh ingredients, you can also freeze them in the same mode and wait until they have cooled completely.
If you prefer a lighter version, try to bake the meatballs in a preheated 200 ° C oven for 20 minutes (if ventilated, at 180 ° C for 10 minutes). You can flavor the dough with a freshly chopped chilli pepper, with the herbs and spices you prefer, or to add parmesan cheese with pecorino cheese.
We would like to have your feedback on this recipe …
Your opinion is very important for us…
Tell us what you think in the comments you find at the bottom of the page.
Enjoy your meal!!
Stay Tuned – Join us on Facebook and get more recipes and freebies: Go Here