Are you looking for a fresher version of lasagna to serve in the autumn?
Why not relying on veggies then! You can use the ones you prefer or are seasonal to add an healthy flavour to such an hearty dish like lasagna.
The vegetables are roasted, giving them a deeper flavor
Choose carefully which lasagna noodles you want to use according to how much time you have to cook, as the no-boil ones will save you some cooking time (keep in mind that they absorb a lot of liquid to cook properly, so you'll need extra sauce too).
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
for the bechamel:
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- some grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 chicken bouillion cube
Vegetables to roast (you can use anything you like)
I used a combination of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots,
- 3 garlic cloves and some chopped up fresh spinach Lasagna noodles for one 13×9 inch baking pan
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
For the bechamel:
Make the bechamel:
- melt the butter in a medium saucepan,
- Whisk in the flour and stir gently for 2-3 minutes, until the flour is cooked.
- Add the bouillon cube and stir until it dissolves.
- Slowly add about a third of the milk, while delicately whisking over medium heat.
- Add nutmeg and pepper.
- When the sauce looks smooth, add another third of the milk and whisk.
- add the rest of the milk and whisk until it gets even smoother.
- Let it cool slightly in a separate bowl.
For the vegetables:
- Chop vegetables uniformly.
- Mince garlic finely.
- Combine half the mixed vegetables on a baking sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil,
- sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for several minutes at 400 degrees. Stir.
- Roast for several minutes more until vegetables are soft. You can roast a little longer, if you like them to be slightly carmelized.
- Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook lasagna noodles for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Shock in a bowl of ice water, lay on towels to dry.
- Spray a 13×9 baking pan with a little cooking spray.
- Spoon some bechamel thinly on the bottom of the pan.
- Start up with one layer of noodles, one of bechamel, some vegetables, and then a layer of a little mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers until you have 6 thick rich layers of noodles. (use up all the veggies)
- On top of the last layer, just some bechamel and the remaining cheeses.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 50 mins at 350 degrees(if using regular lasagna sheets) or 1 hour (if using the no-boil ones).
- bake for 10 minutes more, with no foil on top, so to make it golden.
- Remove from oven, let it cool down for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.