This soup recipe involves strong and delicate ingredients such as roasted peppers and mascarpone cheese, the first ones make the soup incredibly rich and tasty, while the second one makes it creamy and smooth. It’s very easy to roast peppers and this process give them such an extra flavour!
Moreover, did you know that red bell peppers are an amazing source of vitamin C!? They are quite low in calories, high in fibers and with lots of vitamins: speak about an healthy vegetable!
- 6 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon red hot chili pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons very dry sherry
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- sea salt
- black pepper
- set the oven to broil.
- cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil.
- Cut peppers in half and clean them of seeds and stems.
- set the peppers cut side down on the foil
- Broil for at least 15 minutes, until the skin is evenly blackened
- Remove from oven, let them rest and steam covered in foil for 10 minutes
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin.
- Put olive oil, onion, sea salt in a large saucepan and cook slowly over low heat until the onions gets soft.
- Add the roasted peppers and the broth, keep stirring gently, for some minutes
- add basil and sherry and simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes.
- in case you have an immersion blender, dive it inside the pot and puree the soup
- in case you don't, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree it.
- Return the soup back to the pot and add the cheese
- stir over for 3-5 minutes over low heat until the cheese is perfectly melted.
- adjust the seasoning if you need to.