The pasta with broad beans, bacon and cherry tomatoes is a first spring dish, to be prepared with fresh and tender broad beans.
You will have a dish with a strong taste, due to the combination of beans and bacon, but at the same time with the nice note of freshness of the tomatoes.
• Neapolitan short Mafalde (or short pasta): 400 g (14,10 oz)
• Beans to shell: 1.5 kg (52,91 oz)
• Bacon: 180 g (6,34 oz)
• Cherry tomatoes: 300 g (10, 58 oz)
• Fresh spring onion: 1
• Grated Pecorino cheese: 80 g (2,82 oz)
• Thyme: 1 branch
• Salt: as needed
• Black pepper: as needed
• Extra virgin olive oil: as needed
1) To prepare the pasta with broad beans, bacon and cherry tomatoes, first of all the fresh broad beans, divide the pod in half and extract the seeds. Then remove the excrescence covering the seed of the broad bean. Cook the beans in plenty of boiling salted water for 4 minutes, drain them and let them cool under running water. Keep aside a little ‘cooking water of beans that can be used to mix the sauce of the pasta.
2) Now put the bacon, cut into strips in a pan with a chopped spring onion and a drizzle of oil and cook until the bacon has released its fat and it will become very crisp. At this point remove the pancetta from the pan and let it dry on a sheet of absorbent paper.
3) Transfer the beans to the pan where you cooked the bacon and cook for 3 minutes; add the tomatoes cut in half, continuing to cook, stir well trying to break the tomatoes to release their liquid. Meanwhile prepare the water for the pasta, bring it to a boil, add the pasta and drain it al dente.
4) Add the bacon to the condiment of broad beans and tomatoes and sauté all the ingredients for another 5 minutes, adding the cooking water of the beans if it is too dry. Adjust the seasoning of salt and pepper, taking care not to salt it too much, because then there will also be the pecorino to flavor it further.
5) Add the pasta to the pan, mix all the preparation and finish with a drizzle of olive oil, a little finely chopped thyme and finally the grated pecorino cheese. Mix well and serve immediately.
You can also prepare the vegetarian version of this dish by eliminating the bacon from the ingredients.
We would like to have your feedback on this recipe …
Your opinion is very important for us ..
Tell us what you think in the comments you find at the bottom of the page.
Enjoy your meal
Stay Tuned – Join us on Facebook and get more recipes and freebies: Go Here