I created this recipe using pancetta as the main ingredient because I just love it. Pancetta is basically unsmoked Italian bacon, is really savoury and it has a sweet aftertaste. Combining it with mushrooms and onions is just great.
I also managed to add a more delicate flavour by putting some mascarpone cheese in the filling, and by dressing it with sauteed red onion for an extra zing.
Fresh parsley as a garnish make the plate reach perfection!
makes 36 ravioli
(serves about 6)
for the Pasta:
- 3 extra large eggs
- 2½ cups AP flour (approximately)
for the Mushroom Filling:
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems cut off and caps chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- couple of pinches of coarse sea salt
- a few grindings of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmigiano cheese
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese)
for the sauce:
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced (Italian unsmoked bacon)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup minced red onion
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- grated Parmigiano cheese for serving
It can be helpful to have: a pastry bag, a ravioli mold, a fluted pastry wheel, a rolling pin, a spritz bottle of water
To make the pasta:
- First of all, mound the flour on the counter and form a well in the middle.
- Break the eggs into this hole and, with a fork
- slightly beat the eggs.
- Start incorporating the flour with the fork a little at a time until a dough forms.
- add more flour if the dough is too sticky (be careful not to add too much!)
- Work the dough for a couple of minutes and wrap in floured plastic wrap.
- Let it rest for at least 15 mins.
Make the Filling:
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan
- add the red onion, mushrooms and seasonings
- saute over medium low heat until soft, about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- put the Parmesan cheese into a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add the the mushroom mixture and pulse.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and pulse until finely blended.
- Taste and adjust for salt, adding more if needed.
Assemble the ravioli:
- Cut the pasta dough into two pieces (wrap the dough you are not using).
- Flatten your piece of dough and run it through the rollers (use the thickest setting)
- Flour it, fold it into thirds, and run it through again.
- Do this three or four times (setting a less thick setting) and run your dough through, and don’t fold the dough this time
- Keep running it through the rollers until you get to the thinnest settings;
- Lay the sheets of pasta on a floured countertop.
- In case you aren’t fast enough, cover the pasta sheets you did with a towel or plastic wrap, so they don't dry out.
- Repeat with remaining dough until you have made all your pasta sheets.
- Flour your ravioli mold very well.
- Cut your sheets slightly longer than your ravioli mold.
- Gently lay one sheet of pasta on the mold, so that the entire mold is covered.
- using pastry bag, squeeze out a small amount of filling into each well
- Spray the pasta sheet with a little water or brush a little water in between all the filling.
- Carefully lay the second sheet on top and firmly run a rolling pin over to seal.
- Turn the mold over and release the ravioli.
- Use a cutting wheel to cut apart.
- You can store the ravioli on baking sheets in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, make the sauce.
Make the Sauce:
- saute the pancetta In a large frying pan, until it gets crispy.
- Remove the pancetta and the fat and let drain on paper towels.
- Do not wipe out the pan.
- Add the butter, olive oil and red onion and saute slowly until the onion gets soft.
- Turn off heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, using a pasta insert if you can.
- Have a large serving bowl ready.
- Add half of the fresh ravioli to the boiling water and reduce heat until the ravioli is just simmering
- Simmer gently for about 2 minutes and remove from the water and let drain, using the pasta insert.
- Place the ravioli in the serving bowl
- Cook the other half of the ravioli and place in the serving bowl.
- Add the sauce and toss gently until well coated.
- Add a few grindings of fresh black pepper and the chopped parsley and blend.
- Add the grated cheese and serve.